Pongun-sa was first built during the reign of King Wansong (r. 785-798) by
the National Master Yonhoe. In 1551 it became the main temple of the Zen
Order. Then, after 1945, it came under the direct control of the
Headquarters of the Chogye Order.
The main concern of the temple is in education. To this end, there are many
programs organized in order to accommodate anyone and everyone. There are
different activities for each age group of children and university
students, there are discussion and study groups; the temple supports the
main Monastic Uni-versity.
The temple compound is an example of a traditional temple. There are the
gates, shrines, and living quarters. A visit to this temple gives the
impression of a mountain temple.
To get there: The temple is located on the northern side of KOEX building
in the south of Seoul.
By subway: Take green line to Samsong-dong walk north.